I picked up a pair of DRZs at the start of June. Ryan’s black SM and a blue S (Shane’s). I thought I’d use this (long) post to cover the story of the SM rebuild.
I’d heard about the bike at least a year earlier from Karl. “DRZ SM with a knock”. Ryan and I had exchanged messages, but I figured I’d likely need to replace the crankshaft at least some of the bearings, rings, and get a valve job done. The numbers didn’t look great. A year later, mention of the bike came up, and the price had dropped.
Yes/no. I’m still working on the August 13th to 24th trip write up.
As is sort of normal, I took a bit of time off of moto-stuff after that… a good 10 days or so … which did include “wrenching on the TrailBlazer” (transfer case motor was shot, which I figured out after pulling the whole case).
I’ve been face down in the 400SM since, my bike needs attention, but the SM bottom end was sitting on the table, and a more logical starting point.
My bike had some issues that reflect that while I’ve been wrenching lots, it was not on my bike. (By that token, the 400S is basically done and sold. The SM bottom end is done, new jug and piston are in … just wondering what I’m doing for valves and a head … which is a story in itself … I ordered new intake valves … not sure what I got.)
Anyhow, my bike is basically down (starter barely works and runs rough in 3rd).
I only JUST got to washing the dirt from 10 days riding off of it … but there’s enough stuff strewn across the carport that I’m not sure I want to start tearing another bike apart… and given that I seem to have a bottom end problem (3rd gear specific), it isn’t going to be a simple fix. I could swap head/piston jug to my spare bottom end as a quick fix (losing my ACT gears), and I’ll probably do that … but it’s still not a quick fix.
The planned route for this day went out the window as soon as I remembered I want to do some health checks on the bike. As happened last year (with a different wheel), one of my front wheel bearings was shot.
Sunday got off to a reasonably slow start. The rest of the crew was heading back to Victoria, which would be a reasonably short day. Despite that, I think they left before James and I did… likely related to my doing more “bush maintenance”. As I recall, it was hot (and I was still grumpy) when we had returned the evening before, and the river (and cider) had been calling more loudly than the little voice telling me I needed to pull the (spare) front tube out of the rear tire and put in the new one James had gotten me.
The 2020 big trip. 10 days and 9 nights in a tent (plus the overnight bus trip back). Eventful. Clipped a car, lost a “gopro”, replaced a wheel bearing, front pads, and both tires. Bike needs some work (3rd gear sounds bad and starting trouble is worse).
The 2020 big trip. 10 days and 9 nights in a tent (plus the overnight bus trip back). Eventful. Clipped a car, lost a “gopro”, and the “bush mechanic” replaced a wheel bearing, front pads, and both tires. Great event.
This was supposed to be a loop up towards Coronation Mountain and perhaps Brenton and HollyOak lake. Unfortunately we got blocked by a gate. Alternates were a bit of a toss-up, but we didn’t have time for a long day, so a big loop that didn’t take us too far “in” seemed in order. I got to see Chris’ new connection from Stoltz, although it is south of that sketchy Fair Service connector (I thought it was north, and would cut out that crossing).