Tugwell, through to Muir and out. Includes the Tugwell spur alternate track by Bass Lake. Stopped on Muir East to visit the waterfall, which was interesting due to a good five or six inches of heavy snow. Water levels were quite low.Continue reading “2020/01/30 – Tugwell Loop with Chris and co, Snow! (video)”
Cold and clear. Was a frosty morning and I was fighting computers/hard drives so start got delayed to 11 (and I was still late). With the limited daylight it made for a short day.Continue reading “2021/01/23 – Sooke to Shawnigan with James and Rob”
Chris brought a work friend of his out on a West Sooke ride. The “goal” was to get to the Matterhorn (surprisingly easy, they’ve re-opened that track).Continue reading “2021/01/17 – Ride with Chris (and Todd, and others) in West Sooke.”
Rob T ride up to Skutz falls (from burnt bridge) and then whatever…
“Whatever” basically was a run down Skutz Falls main (with a detour via the base of the powerlines) to Holt. Holt to Wild Deer, and then it got fuzzy and side tracked. Was supposed to be over Eagle Heights to Riverside, but ended up being an attempt for Louis lake. But there were so many trees down on the track that we were happy just to get out without having to backtrack. Exit was basically down the main access to Louis lake and out the holt main gate.
I have gpx, maybe video, to come. (and yes, it’s been a bit of a break over the holidays.)
I need a place to store ride ideas. This is mostly places that I haven’t ridden yet.
Plan was a short easy run through Oliphant.
Plan morphed a bit as always. James wanted to scout for a connection between the Skylar entrance and the Old Baldy trails. He’d been up that way with Taylor and it was expert only. The idea was to find an easier route.
Anyhow, a slip while scouting (with hatchet in hand) made for a cut finger and shortened the day a bit. We did re-visit the A frame, and watched the ravens playing on the way out.
So that’s twice in recent times that I’ve ridden back down the malahat with someone heading to VGH emergency. Although in this case, I think James figured it was doing well enough to skip getting a couple stitches. I’m hoping this isn’t an “in three’s” example :(
(I did have a minor incident with a table saw just before the next blog entry, let’s hope that was #3 of 3.)
Vaguely this was supposed to be a ride with a bit of a hike to the Mt Demers summit/tower/helipad…Continue reading “2020/12/12 – sun dash – via SJA with James”
A low distance, relatively easy ride, which included both a short hike, and some trail work.
Two shorter days of riding up near Oliphant lake.Continue reading “2020/11/28 & 29 Oliphant x 2 and “snap””
Spent way too long messing with the bike. Stripped it way down to swap starters, only to have that make no difference. Also swapped carbs, hoping to solve the low power (just off idle) issues, and if anything that made things worse. Finally tweaked that it could be the starter clutch slipping, and swapped that out (success). And the carb runs well enough if the idle is turned WAY down.
I bought an innovate air/fuel meter, haven’t yet gotten a O2 sensor bung welded into a header, hope to have that monday… but preliminary testing with the sensor wrapped in a rag and using a welding glove to stuff it up the exhaust pipe suggests that both my idle and low power mixtures are quite rich.
It seems that the “richen” the mixture until peak rpm is reached, and don’t go any farther advice is actually pretty close to 14.7. I’ve been going richer from there as it seemed to make the bike tractor better (e.g. harder to stall at idle). Somewhere along the way I raised the needle, that was probably a mistake. I did recently downsize the main jet to 155 which made the last half of the throttle work right, before it just changed the exhaust tone.
Anyhow, got out for a bit of a burn through the Oliphant area. Malahat gate was open for firewood collection! Left shortly after 9, home around 1, did get quite wet, but did not see anything that would qualify as rain.
Oh, right, clutch. Clutch gave me grief on the Heather Mtn trip. I ended up making a bit of a test setup for measuring springs. That worked surprisingly well, but I might still end up needing/using washers … or chasing up some newer springs. There was one or two times today when I wasn’t sure the clutch was holding, but by the same token, I wasn’t babying the bike either.